Followers

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Filling My Well With Fabric Not Water


I work every Wed. from 5:30 am to 4:00 pm. For me to accomplish this I wake up at 4:00 am take a shower, get ready, read the paper and drink a cup of coffee. Then I spend a 10 hour day getting people ready for surgery. So the fact that I signed up for a BOM at http://www.sewmanyquiltsinbend.com/ that meets on Wed. evenings sounded nuts...but, I did love the challenge of this particular BOM! It started June 2010, I signed up Sept. 2010 and had a lot to catch up on with the intention of doing it without, the camaraderie...but what I didn't realize until last night when I attended my first group meeting was how emotionally important it was to come to the meetings. As tired as I was I dragged myself down there and spent an hour and half meeting my fellow BOM's. It was so dang much fun! To see what others were doing, to share what I had done and to know there was another quilter who intended to do some applique while on vacation!


I have always been a person on the go who needed to find short cuts to everything I do and, so when I decided to attempt my first applique for the Hoffman Fabric Challenge I choose to not baste my applique, but to use Roxanne's Glue Baste-It. While sitting on the beach over a long weekend on the Oregon Coast I appliqued this pattern by Pacific Rim Quilt Company http://www.prqc.com/ . Years later when Nancy (of Pacific Rim) and I were teaching at the same time during the Quilter's Affair in Sisters I told her I glued everything before appliqueing...I thought she would swallow her thread! lol Hey...some of us have to find the shorter route! And besides...Hoffman liked it and so my wall hanging traveled for a year with their quilt show. Little did all those purest out there know...I started with glue!


Of course, while at my BOM meeting I had to take a peek at the displays that were so much a part of the look achieved by Sew Many Quilts. Gayle and Sharon's displays grab you from the moment you walk in the door...and with each little nook and cranny you hear the chant, "BUY ME."

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Personalize a slideshow design

8 comments:

  1. Anna, I really enjoy all the photo slide shows. Keep making those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you work at the hospital in Bend? My brother and sister-in-law both work there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I will keep the slide shows coming...I love them also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the new followers! I will try to keep you all entertained with quilting in Central Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so good to have you at the Green Pieces BOM night! I hope that you be able to join us each month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that I know what I have been missing I am going to keep coming! I was so fun seeing you there! I freaked when Gayle said there were a total of 29 wool blocks! That means I will be watching a lot of Gunsmoke!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. I love Gail and Sharrons shop. I used to work for Gail's husband and she is a great person! I love, love, love their shop! Enjoy your time there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michelle,

    both Gayle and Sharon have done a wonderful job at Sew Many Quilts. I really enjoy Holly Hills in West Linn and this gives me a taste of the sweet fabric fix on this side of the mountain!

    ReplyDelete