Followers

Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Luck Of The Irish or Another Cooking Misadventure?


Today I have my crock pot going with Corned Beef. I like simple cooking because the more complicated stuff usually doesn't turn out...sometimes just gross to the eye...but tastes OK. Sometimes, just gross. One day I ran to the store and when I came home my youngest son met me at the front door and flatly told me he was not eating what was in the oven! I got my dander up and said, "oh yes you will...I am not fixing you something different!" At which point HH, who was washing the car said, "Go look at it first." Needless to say after taking a peek and seeing something that was a hot pink color we went out for Chinese.

I have made corned beef before and I remember it turned out OK but, for some reason I am nervous today. Maybe, it has been the recent cooking disasters. So, I went on the Internet to the Food Network and found out I need a rutabaga and carrots which I didn't have. I have potatoes and a cabbage...and the cabbage was a group discussion with 2 of the veggie guys at Newport Market
http://www.newportavemarket.com/ since there were 3 kinds of cabbage. I got totally grossed out when I opened the corned beef bag and dropped it in the crock pot and all this blood!!!! poured into the pot. I know that the beef was soaked in seasons but I had to take it out and clean my crock pot. I then filled it with water like the recipe said added the potatoes. Not sure what made me go back to check the recipe but I did and it was supposed to be HOT water. Too late, so I have turned up the crock pot to high for 20 minutes to heat up the water faster. After Enzo and I go for a walk we are heading out in search of a rutabaga and carrots...oh yeah and I am going to buy a loaf of bread! Do you hear me Alma!!! buy a loaf of bread!!!


I guess cooking is like quilting. Some of us go for the simpler patterns because they turn out and some of us, like my friend Dale pick the complicated patterns because they can cook...after all she can make a pie!

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you. Simple is a better choice for some of us :-) Hope your meal turns out good. Happy St Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy St. Paddy's Day to you also Loris! I did get my rudabaga and carrots in there...not it's a waiting game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot, too! I moved here 2 1/2 years ago to be near my folks after living away for 42 years. I put the crock pot on a the folks and we will join them later for dinner. I don't know that you wanted to know all of that but, your comments struck a note and there you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your folks are getting twice the benefit...the smell of something good cooking and the finished product! Looks there will be a lot of us enjoying dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet your dinner turns out great and you will have a fantastic loaf of bread to go with it. lol
    See ya on Tues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm taking a photo and posting it tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete