Followers

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Treasure Hunt

I have been on the hunt...a treasure hunt for 2 specific items for a couple of weeks. One was a ladder that is interesting to look at but, clean enough to hang some quilts on. I am tired of making quilts or be given quilts, only to fold them away in the closet. I want to enjoy them! To roll around in the memory of their construction or the feel good moment of receiving them. My quest is to display on a rotating basis quilts from my history, holiday themed or gifts in my home. I have seen the ladder idea in home decor magazines and made the choice to find the perfect one. The other item is a hanging quilt rack, white, with a shelf on top to have on the wall of my downstairs bathroom. So far, no luck on the second item.

On a hunch I decided to head to the back streets of Bend and check out the Iron Horse, a second hand and antique store. The guy who owns it is extremely nice and trusting. The kind of guy you want to do business with...the kind of guy you want to give your money too. Since the last time I was there he had doubled the inventory and the two second hand businesses next door opened a connecting wall...SWEET! I found my ladder...and it had some old hardware on it which I liked. The best part is the seller had already painted it and it was ready to use. Then while I was paying I picked up this bamboo thing and said, "how much?" He said, "Well, it just came in...how about $6?" Which is the amount he took off the ladder as a final price! SOLD. He then asked, "what are you going to do with it?"

It is going to be a quilt hanger for a oriental themed wall hanging I made! Great idea, huh! He thought so.


So, here is my ladder. When I first saw it, the black kinda threw me off but I thought I could paint it if I didn't like it. Then when I got home and saw all the other black accents in the room I realized it fit in perfect!


And now I can start enjoying even more quilts in my cupboards than ever before. I figure I can even change the quilts to fit the season. Ahhhh, I love it when a good idea comes together.

10 comments:

  1. what a great shopping day! Love the quilts on the ladder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I have not been into his shop in years...I forgot that he was still there...and when you said he doubled the inventory...my first thought was "how?" Glad to hear he has more room.

    Bragging about your blog today at my quilt class...so am going to give your blog link to two gals if that is ok.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely perfect! I too have been wanting a ladder to display quilts and this one is particularly awesome!! I hope I can be as lucky when my search begins....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank Cherry! Sometimes shopping good for the soul and I think going to a second hand store...is green!

    I know Michelle! It's hard to believe he could fit another item in there! I love that you are passing on the blog address! the more the merrier!

    I wish you luck Karen. The hunt is almost as enjoyable as the find. I am still looking for that perfect shelf and quilt hanger for my bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know how to shop! The quilts look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, your ladder looks great, I want to get something similar one day but have looked at some of the ones used in the South/west in New Mexico. They are of a bleach wood and angle narrower at the top.

    Your bamboo hanger is from the group called ten thousand villages and is a fair trade company that has shops around the world.

    Here is the link to your hanger, you got a good price! Check out the website for other interesting items. We have a couple of these stores in the Vancouver area if you ever get up here.

    http://www.tenthousandvillages.com/wall-hangings
    Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eileen, I'm helping the economy one second hand store at a time! lol

    Sandy, thanks for the site reference. I have bookmarked it! Lots of interesting items and I was trying to figure out where I was going to get another one of these hangers. I have seen the ladder you are talking about in western decor magazines and I love them! I initially went to a store downtown that had one a couple of years back but they aren't carrying them any more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this was a succesful treasure hunt. Love the ladder & quilts. Both are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Helen...I love sucessful, Treasure and Hunt all in the same sentence! Thank you

    ReplyDelete