Followers

Monday, April 25, 2011

The 2011 Material Girl Challenge

I would have posted earlier but I wanted to post the 2011 Material Challenge Quilts from the competition this afternoon. Then when I got home I was so tired from the weekend I fell fast asleep for a 2 hour nap!!!! I am not a nap taker....but boy do I feel good now. We'll have to see if I can sleep tonight.

The weather today...well to put it mildly was schizophrenic. Right now the sun is shining, an hour ago it was snowing and before that it was pouring rain...ah, Spring in Central Oregon!

Back to the challenge. The rules were to use a piece of batik that was purchased at QuiltWorks last year and to make a quilt using 2 blocks named with the same letter as the makers name. My 2 letters were A&B so I pushed the rules a little and made an applique block and a Birds In The Air Block. Your quilt could be any size. The outcome was spectacular and in most cases it was hard to determine who the maker was. They were numbered and the voting began with the top four quilt sharing in a kitty of cash where each entrant paid $1. The ballots were tallied by 2 members who did not compete. There were 18 contestants and after all the ballots counted, the quilts explained we shared in a catered lunch by Tate and Tate...what a great Monday to be off work!!!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
This slideshow made with Smilebox

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these photos! Honestly, my vote for best would have gone to your quilt! All of them are pretty ... but I have a soul-deep passion for Japanese indigos and sashiko quilting. :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Linda! I also love the indigos and have a dream of making a beautifully detailed Sashiko wall hanging...but I gotta start somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Beautiful show of quilts! I do love the Sashiko you put in there. The class you took paid off :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, you are right Loris! I love it when I take a class and actually use what I learned! I still have a few UFO's left from previous classes...I had better work on those and finally get my money's worth!

    ReplyDelete