Followers

Monday, May 23, 2011

It's War!!!

I am not sure...but, I got a bee in my bonnet about a month ago to do a Civil War era quilt. Suddenly realizing that it was the 150th year anniversary and that there was a whole genre of fabrics out there just to commemorate this historical event. Duhhh. Then I found Barbara Brackman's site with a BOW and some history lessons http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-01-13T06%3A29%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=7. I have been a history buff most of my life. In fact in high school I had planned to major in history at the university...instead, chosing a course of study that included, business, speech and hearing, and ultimately nursing. But my love of history has remained and I am an avid fan of the History Channel...who doesn't love Swamp People!!! LOL


Deciding to march down this road I needed support and so dragged a few recruits along with me. We have decided to meet once a month for about 4 hours and tackle this year long project. Because of schedule constraints among the enlistees, I will actually be meeting twice a month. Then, there is the POW, who thinks we are nuts and is just showing up to heckle us. That would be Robin. We have decided that she has way tooooo much leniency and so next time we are going to make her iron our blocks and rip out any mistakes!

Our first meeting was yesterday and boy did we have fun! We are hooked! What you have to understand is that the BOW started the first week in January, posting a block every Saturday. As of last Saturday there are now 21 blocks!!! Lori and I started with block 1...but naturally Irene ( who is also making yo yo's) started with block 21...both sides will eventually meet in the middle. Tomorrow Sandy will be here. She started at the beginning of the year and has 11 blocks done because she lost steam but will catch up fast!

Last night was also book club (didn't read the book but was just going for the eats & friendship) I asked one of the members who was car pooling to come early because...she is a quilter also and she could bring me some show 'n tell....ahhh what a great Sunday!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
A photo slideshow by Smilebox

2 comments:

  1. You are having WAY too much fun!! How do you get any quilting done at all!! :o)
    You take care!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. No quilting done...we just talk about it, buy fabric for it, eat, drink and be merry about it...we are virtual quilters!

    ReplyDelete