Followers

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Greenbaum's Quilted Forest

Yesterday we headed over the mountain to Portland in anticipation of our youngest son's graduation, birthday and departure for Illinois.  Call it a mother's need but, I decided that I needed to have Korean food for the graduation celebration...because I am not sure he'll be able to find any in Illinois.  It reminds me of my own move to Oregon 20+years ago.  I was afraid there would not be any refried beans in Oregon so I brought a case with me!  It still gives HH a laugh as he recalls a Mexican grocery store in town.  Since we needed to stop at H-Mart a Korean grocery store in Tigard we traveled over Santium Pass running into the Rodeo Parade in Sisters!  Although it was slow progress we had lunch in Salem which was around the corner from Greenbaum's Quilted Forest.  Downtown Salem...is different...it has an old feel with not much activity...until...you go into Greenbaum's.  Holy Smoke was it busy.  I swear you could put a quilt store in the middle of the desert and it still would be filled with activity!
This is Sylvia (she is the one on the left), owner of Greenbaum's a third generation family business that has evolved over time. It started as a dry good’s store, Greenbaum’s Dept. Store, in 1900; became a fabric store; Greenbaum’s Fine Fabrics, in 1946; and finally a quilt shop, Greenbaum’s Quilted Forest, in 1988. The shop is in a beautiful historic structure that was built in 1889, and is located in the heart of the downtown historic district in Salem, Oregon.  Her assistant manager is Lovey...me thinks it is a good thing I left Enzo home!
When shoppers bring their fabrics up to the counter to be cut they get to sit down a spell at the cutting bar.  It is here where I met Patric.  She is a new quilter, having retired in 2010 she is now working on her 4th quilt!  When I asked her if she had a stash yet...she said she cleaned out 3 college degrees of paper work to make room for her stash! you just gotta love quilters!

Enjoy the slide show...it is one of those you will want to watch more than once and, if you see something you must have...check out their web site! Greenbaum's Quilted Forest
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
This slideshow customized with Smilebox

2 comments:

  1. Civil War quilts rock! I love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can really tell how popular Civil War projects are when you visit quilt shops and they ALL carry some of the lines!

    ReplyDelete