Followers

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Lessons

What can I say?!  As I move through the process of letting my mom be free...I am going to share some of the lessons I have learned these last few weeks.  I have to preface this with the scene of me and mom back in June when I stayed with her...to please fill your recycle bin, truck and garbage can every week.  It looked like she heeded me...a little bit.  What we were this past 2 weeks and will be facing is a house and 2 garages where 2 senior citizens have lived in for 28 years, both depression era and post war sufferers.  Everything might have a use....SOME DAY.  Although not hoarders in the TV show sense...they couldn't just throw away the extra packets of ketchup that were placed in the bag.  That is why I DO NOT eat at fast food places...you not only come away with the caloric guilt but what to do with the 8 extra ketchup packets, salt, plastic wear and napkins?!!!

Although I have only been home for 3 days I have made 3 trips to Goodwill.  I have been cleaning my closets of all that doesn't fit, the style is old or has a stain on it...I have donated all my costume jewelry and only kept that which has value both monetary and sentimental.  And, I have viewed my house with the critical eye that someday my children will have to deal with our STUFF! And they will see that for some reason I owned 30 pairs of under panties when there are only 7 days in a week and 4 weeks in a month and I pretty much do a load of laundry on a regular bases.  oh by the way...Goodwill does not want undergarments.

That is not to say that I won't occasionally recycle something into my life just because I like it...and there will be no purging of the quilt room...I already had that moment and I love every single piece of fabric in there and have decided that fabric is my Achilles tendon and gives me JOY!!!

This tirade brings me to my photo of the day.  While down at mom's a delivery was made of a basket full of goodies from Connor's fiance Emily's parents in Portland, Oregon.  The goodies came in handy basket and I squealed with joy when I saw a BeeBop Biscotti which has a home base in our home town of Bend!  a piece of home...sigh...in the past when I have received gift baskets for whatever reason the basket is usually one of those mass produced ones made in some country on the other side of the world.  This basket was lovely.  Had wooden handles and so, I chose to bring it home with me as a reminder not only of the lovely gesture but to use.  This is not to be put in the same category as a gallon jar of ketchup packets.  As you can see I filled it with fall gourds and pumpkins and was a perfect center piece to my table.

15 comments:

  1. We moved my mother in with us a couple of years ago, and I spend the next 2-3 weeks cleaning out her home, come to find out she had saved every single thing I ever gave her from the time I could walk until she moved in, not always a good thing, warm and fussy but!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about 100 pair of socks that were safety pinned together. Or at least 15 nail clippers all in their original packaging. I also came home and purged my own stuff (not quilting related) so daughter wouldn't have to deal with it! Same journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, I thought I was alone out there purging "stuff" of mine after my mother died. I also made a note to myself to make sure one of my children knew my passwords, etc to important accounts.
    Keeping you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to hear from you. It's never pretty when someone passes away and has been a "saver", whether it's a child or a spouse that has to go through it all. I suspect that most people, especially in these days with filled houses, garages and renting storage units for the overflow, just never think about the fact that someday they won't be there and that someone they love will be burdened by all of that stuff. Periodically I try to go through things in my home to declutter, and have even done that a couple of times with my quilting room. This is a good reminder that it's time to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anna, the basket looks so good on your table with the Fall runner. :)
    My dear mother-in law passed away 4 years ago, and her 3 sons took on the task of clearing out the house, which took weeks. Both DMIL and her late husband were both hoarders, many many boxes of donated goods went to charity, plus a HUGE bin which had been delivered to the back yard was filled up and went off to the garbage tip. Not the hoarding like on tv either, they just kept everything. Since then, I have been systematically going through wardrobes and cupboards in my home and getting rid of all the things I don't use/want/wear- most have gone to a charity shop. We can only wear one dress/ nightgown/ pair of shoes at a time, I had so many clothes I had kept because "I might just fit into them again one day"- fat chance!!! so they have all gone. I figured IF I lose weight I will treat myself to something new. -and decluttering made me feel good. Hugs from Australia, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say Ann, I loved reading all my letters to my parents written while I was away at college...no wonder the cleaning process took so long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok Anne...you are making me totally laugh out loud! my mom also had a sock fetish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well Eileen, the one thing I have learned is our paths are not solitary...there are always others who have walked the same road...thank god! There is support out there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Corney, I don't have to worry about my quilt room...I will continue to spend to my hearts content because I know that poor Lindsey by her very age will be the last Fabric Stalker standing and will inhiert all our quilt rooms! ROFLOL at Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Corney, I don't have to worry about my quilt room...I will continue to spend to my hearts content because I know that poor Lindsey by her very age will be the last Fabric Stalker standing and will inhiert all our quilt rooms! ROFLOL at Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh Sandy you are speaking my language...why keep so much that doesn't fit just with thought that one day you might be able to wear and out of style dress? It is like by their very existence in my closet they are mocking me. off to donation they went and like you said, I'll buy new stylish stuff as I lose weight! I have a couple more closet to go and then I start on the kitchen cabinets! I feel lighter already!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The runner and basket are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too have purged my stuff, but also cannot bring myself to purge anything from my sewing room. Love the basket and the gorgeous quilt it is sitting on. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going through the same thing with my mom & dad. They have finally decided to sell the big house and move to a condo due to Mom's declining health. I was down there 2 weeks ago helping them sort and cull through 40+ years of accumulation! Yikes! I'm not a saver, however, DH is a packrat. I try and do an annual purge/yardsale. Helps keep some of the junk to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete