Followers

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Stump Town

Have you ever been stumped by a quilt???? Well, here is my "stump quilt."  I can't even remember what year I made it...but I do know it was a long time ago and it is now time to conquer the quilt!  I love this star pattern which I learned in a class with Debbie Caffrey.  She used to come to Bend and teach mystery quilt classes at BJ's Quilt Basket when there really was a BJ in the shop!  I loved her mystery classes because I learned so much, had a rip roaring great time and was fed a dinner.  I adapted this star pattern into a design of my own creation  adding little flowers which I hand button holed in the center.  Even quilted it...because I had the intention of making a prairie point border.  I saved the green fabric which has cute little chickens on it just for that purpose...then I was stumped.

I have never made a prairie point border.  This quilt is lying on top of a queen size bed and just covers the top...so for a quilt that size how big do you cut the squares and how do you attach the points????  These questions so perplexed me that I folded it away to live in...a place called my "stump vortex."  It is where projects live that I don't understand why I purchased them, how to finish them or how to even get started???



Aren't these stars wonderful!


And this is where I ended.  The prarire points are supposed to somehow be attached to the red border...but I don't have a clue how???  I have already quilted the whole thing...what was I thinking???


Anyhoo...do you have a "stump vortex?"

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing another beautiful quilt Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that beautiful...someone online should be able to answer how to do that so you can finish it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I had one, but didn't know that's what's it's named. I have a quilt I started about 7 years ago, but can't figure out what kind of border to put on it. I posted it on my blog a few months back, but I'm a new blogger and didn't really get many responses. And I never did end up loving any of the suggestions I received. I can't believe I'm ~this~ close to finishing and can't figure out how I want to do the borders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome quilt!I can´t help you,so sorry.
    Hope someone in the bllogosphere con help you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anna,

    Here are two sources I found by googling prairie point border. Hope they help.
    http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/the-not-so-granny-quilt/index.html
    or
    http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpatternsprojects/ss/prairie_points_3.htm

    Your quilt is lovely and I like your flower additions.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It so lovely Anna, does it need anything else, except a binding? I love the chooks, roosters and eggs print. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eileen, thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann, quilters are such sharing people aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deborah, only 7 year old...just a baby stump!lol Send me a photo...I'm full of opinions! ROFLOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deborah, only 7 year old...just a baby stump!lol Send me a photo...I'm full of opinions! ROFLOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Rosa...what would we do without the blog world!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandi, thank you so much...I cook better when I have pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cathy You're a real boost to the ego...I think the prairie points are now a challenge for me...and, I always want to win!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anna, you can do this! Go to http://piecesofranaslife.blogspot.com/2011/06/prairie-points-one-fabric.html
    This is instruction for making single fabric prairie points...she also has instructions for making them in two fabrics and also in many fabrics for a scrappy look.
    Sew them on like they instructed in the link from Sandi's comment at the quilts patterns project. I made a prairie point border using several fabrics and it looked sweet...surprised myself :-) It will be beautiful and you will be thrilled that you got-er-done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've not made a prairie point border before, but if I remember correctly the fabric square is folded into that point so the only raw edge is the long side. I don't know how to calculate the size either, but am thinking that you could put the prairie point upside down (so that it's wrong side up) along the quilt top's raw edge, with it's raw edge aligned then pin your binding edge overtop. When you turn the binding over to the back, press your prairie points over to cover the binding. I don't know if that would work, but it seems like it should.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi Loris! multi colored praire pointed...sounds totally fun! Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Corney you are a wealth of knowledge...tell me how long you have been quilting? I love being friends with people who know stuff! lol

    ReplyDelete