Followers

Monday, April 30, 2012

Dreamin' A Dream For You & Me

I fell in love with Portland, Oregon ever since our youngest son decided to attend college in the Rose City.  Although he has graduated and moved our oldest son lives in the suburbs with his family and so continues to connect us to this wonderful city.  I used to dream about someday having a little place that I could just pop in and stay a while.  Portland is 3 hours over a mountain pass from where we live but is world of difference from the culture of our little town.  I love them both.  

My youngest son is engaged to a woman from Portland and so I have high hopes that they will someday return.  Her mother posted this video on her Facebook page and OMG...I wanted to run right out and get me a place right in the Pearl District!  My dream is alive and well!  Is there a specific dream you have that is just simmering on the back burner?  I would love to hear what it is!



After cutting HH's hair yesterday morning he headed out to the desert for the day and I had a day at home to do whatever I wanted!  poking around the garden and sewing were on the list...but at the top was making these cookies for HH.  It is these unexpected little things that bind us.  Knowing that even though you are apart, they are still in your mind.  I saw these cookies on Pinterest and knew I was going to have to make them...and am I glad I did!  If there is a Cookie Heaven, these cookies are one of the saints!



1 super moist lemon cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp. lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon extract
white sugar for coating
confectioners sugar for coating

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Mix the first 6 ingredients together.  using a cookie scoop, drop a scoop of dough into the white sugar covering the cookie, then roll in the confectioners sugar.  Place on a non stick cookie pan and bake for  6-9 minutes or until slightly browned on the edges.

when slightly cool pick one up, close your eyes and bite it...that's heaven.



Here is my April UFO challenge quilt completed!  I finished tacking the binding last night.  This was a kit I purchased at Holly Hills in 2010 and now it is done and I love it!  On to the next UFO.

12 comments:

  1. I just finished yesterdays slideshow! That was the longest one so far. I love that sweet dog photo. Congrats on finishing a UFO. I finished one also. It's a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the UFO pile is still alive and well, FAAACCCTA, I am moving on to a new one!

      Delete
  2. Oh my! What to talk about first...?? What a beautiful video of Portland! I found out about the Pearl District back in 2007, and it sounds like a great section of Portland to settle in. Now if it weren't so doggone expensive...

    Your completed UFO for April is wonderful! I didn't complete a UFO this month, because I spent the majority of the month working on my local guild's Opportunity Quilt instead. I am currently working on a different project for my guild, so this month is a "wash" for UFO's.

    I did pull out a UFO, which was a BOM, and found that not only do I not even like it, but that due to the issues with the fusible (Heat 'n Bond Lite), made all but one block unsalvageable. So I saved the one huge block and will make a wall hanging for a Christmas gift when I complete the project for my guild.

    The cookies made my mouth water as soon as I saw them! We gave up sugar in all of it's forms (except what is natural in fruits) about 3 weeks ago, so they aren't in my future. I'm going to have to go eat a piece of fruit so that I don't feel deprived now!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...the pearl is spendy but dreams are cheap! lol Don't you hate it when you pull out a project and you are not emotionally connected anymore! I pass those on...life is too short to not love what you are creating! They are fruit...they are lemon cookies!

      Delete
  3. You tempt me to take a trip out west, someday, so many beautiful places to visit. Your quilt came out beautifully.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...come on...we could shop together...I could take you to all the wonderful shops we have.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful quilt! The cookies look quite tempting too. ;-) Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I can't say which I like better, the quilt or the cookies. I guess it depends on how hungry I am!

      Delete
  5. Strong work on your UFO list! This one is lovely!
    Funny...my dream is to have a place in Bend. So I can enjoy seeing my nephew and his sweet growing family :-)and of course, walk my dogs all over those great trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I am feeling quite smug about my UFO list! Bend needs you...we welcome all quilters!

      Delete
  6. I love Portland - Saturday Market, the bridges, the hanging plants everywhere, we used to go to the Nob Hill area, the food. My kids live about 30 miles from Portland in Woodland, Wa and when I come up they take me all over. Hopefully I get to make the trip this fall. The cookies are coming to my house as soon as I get some lemons. They look wonderful. Good job on your UFO - I hope I get time to sew this week. That's my goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Saturday Market and this time of year the farmer's markets start up, Yummm! The cookies are a little sticky and soft until you drop them in the sugar, but then you can lick your fingers! lol
      Sewing...a priority!

      Delete