Followers

Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Pie Goal

This past summer one of the Woolie followers Linda who writes for the home section of our local paper did a piece on Sara, pie baker extraordinaire.  As noted in the article she gave pie making classes in her home.  I immediately emailed her knowing that the first moment I had free for pie making class was October...no problemo.

Now, I have heard from some of you that Pillsbury pie in a box is easy and taste good...that frozen pie crust is just as good...and if you were me, buying a pie off of a stack of pies at Costco worked just fine. BUT, if you were me you would know that once I set my mind onto a goal I pursue it like a junk yard dog on the scent of a trespasser. 

My desire started a few months ago when I made a bulletin board on my Pinterest site called "A Pie Goal."  I remembered that back when I was young as in 4-5 years old, an only child my mom made pies...there was a time where she seemed to be a homemaker...cooked and stuff.  She made awesome pies.  Then she gave up her pie making roll to become an emperor of a small nation...namely our family.  I wanted to recapture that memory...and make one extraordinary pie...and maybe learn enough to make a second one???

Enter Sara who is an incredible teacher and pie maker!


here is my pie in the works


WOW, you naysayers can squawk all you want about Pillsbury tasting just as good...NO WAY!  This crust tastes better than I remember my mom's tasting...which means she was smart to give up baking for being an Emperor!


Of course my classmate Don's wife signed him up for the class (smart woman) and as our day progressed I found out I was not only in the company of a pie genius but also a culinary master!  Don cans all kinds of veggies and meat.  He make bread, cookies,  pizza, caramel corn...on and on and on!  Now he is adding pie to his list!


Of course Sara, Don and I had to take a break...pie making is exhausting! lol and sample some of Sara's pie.  We left class not only with a completely baked pie, but a turnover, a couple of extra slices of Sara's pie, a completely rolled out dough for an additional pie, dough ready to be rolled out, some extra apples and a complete manual compiled by Sara in case we need her help in a midnight pie baking frenzy!  


I think what this experience has taught me is that if we don't take an occasional chance on something new...if we always stay within our comfort zone...life can get pretty darn predictable...which translates to boring. 

"Adventure may hurt you, but monotony will kill you."
(the dough making was pretty scary!...and then there was the variety of rolling pins to choose from)

12 comments:

  1. YUM!! Looking (and smelling) GREAT!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing tastes as good as home made, as long as you know how to make it, lol. I always made from scratch, but I am horrible at rolling it out.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pie looks amazingly wonderful!! What a neat experience! I've always wanted to learn the techniques of pie making too, so maybe you can post some pie tips for us sometime! hint, hint! LOL

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun - and your pie looks professional! I'm signed up for a cooking class "Gifts from the Kitchen" (for Christmas). I'm looking forward to learning something new too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK Anna, now that you are a pie genius (as well as an all time genius), here is my favorite recipe. We've simplified it over the 40 years since Mom talked the pie shop owner for the recipe. Bake a pie shell, or two. Whip an 8 oz pkg of room temperature cream cheese till smooth. Add 1/3 cup pdr. sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 carton cool whip. Slowly blend together. (You can use whipped cream instead of Cool Whip.) Fill the baked pie shell with the mix. Put two cups of blue berries or marion berries in a bowl with 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon (if you want). Microwave till it bubbles well. Cool. Cover the top of your pie with fresh berries and then pour the topping over that. Chill and serve. Yummy! Peaches are great in this, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love pie ... and, someday, i WILL conquer making pie crust and it will be one of the minions in my empire ... sigh ... i really do love pie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This pie seems to be very delicious!
    I would also like to challenge making sweets!! :DD

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would definitely take that class! Maybe going back to work after 9 years of retirement counts as getting me out of my comfort zone - it for sure has done that. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on that pie! They look amazing and incredibly delicious. However, in the interests of quality control, you will need to box one up and send it to me for "testing". lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome looking pie! My mouth is watering just looking at it. You have to share some of Sara's tips with me! I wish I could have been there, it sounded like a very fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter makes an apple pie that is to die for... recipe from Cook's Illustrated, with sour cream in the pie dough and she usually puts around 5 lbs of apples in it! The apples are precooked a bit so that when they go into the crust, they stay the same size--none of that high hollow crust! Photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mariewatterlond/5206978477/in/set-72157625467846320/

    ReplyDelete